Computer Cartography - Week 4 Typography

This week's map was all about labeling. I had to figure out How to label various features without over crowding the map and ensuring the labels made sense. I used ArcGIS to make the map and then I used Adobe Illustrator to make the labels. The whole time I had my textbook with me so I could reference how to label a map correctly.


I made the map in ArcGIS and then exported it to Adobe Illustrator, only to find out that I had not zoomed in on Marathon enough. I made the change and then exported again. Then the labeling fun started. The first few labels were fine: the fit nicely over the area that they described. Then the keys got smaller, so I added leading lines to show what each label was labeling. Then the cities and the areas of interest were added. Those were points so I had to add leading lines. I only realized after everything was labeled and I had exported the map that I used the leading line incorrectly; I had the lines touching the points that the label described. I went back into illustrator, made the correction and exported again. I think that was my only hiccup this week.

I am still unsure about effects so I played around and found three that I really liked.


  1. I used the Inner Glow effect on the counties in the main map. I think it draws more attention to the center of the map. Also the lighter parts look similar to a beach which I thought was fitting.
  2. I added an arc to the title because the map seemed serious. This really looks like a map someone might use to plan a vacation, so I wanted to make it look a little more fun.
  3. I added rounded corners to the neatlines in the map also to help soften the overall mood of the map.

Here is the final product:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10

Week 5: Projections

Cartography: Week 3 Intro to Illustrator